Prepare for future ministry opportunities.
This program provides both hands-on and in-class training in teaching English as a second or new language. For students preparing for international ministries, it is intended to provide the tools necessary for participation in educational activities abroad.
Learn through field experience.
Through field experience, students interact with ESL/ENL learners to fulfill requirements for each class. Field experience is completed via observations as well as interactions with educational facilities or private organizations.
Understand new cultures.
Through the curriculum, the students will analyze educational philosophies and write their personal philosophy of education. Students will study various cultures and the characteristics that define each culture.
|Degree Requirements||15 Credits|
|ED 200||Introduction to Education||3|
|EN 261||Cross Cultural Awareness or||3|
|EN 362||Second Language Acquisition||3|
|EN 262||Foundations of Linguistics and English Language Learning Issues||3|
|EN 363||Applied Linguistics: Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening||3|
|EN 365||ESL/ENL Instruction and Assessment||3|
- Students will be able to know, understand, and use the major theories and research related to the structure and acquisition of language to help ELL’s develop language, literacy and achievement in the content areas.
- Students will be able to know, understand, and use major concepts, principles, theories, and research related to the nature and role of culture and cultural groups to construct supportive learning environments for ELLs.
- Students will be able to know, understand, and use evidence-based practices and strategies related to planning, implementing, and managing standards-based ESL.
- Students will be able to demonstrate an understanding of issues and concepts of assessment.
- Students will be able to articulate a Christian worldview that incorporates moral leadership and ethical decision making with the ELL students.
Frequently Asked Questions
Dr. Melissa Tucker serves as Program Coordinator for our Teacher Education program which oversees our ESL/ENL certificate program.
You can meet Dr. Tucker and the rest of our faculty here.
Students who start their application must complete their application and submit the following additional documents:
You can view more information about our admissions requirements here.