The Core Academic Skills for Educators (CORE) exam is an important step in preparing for the Boyce College Teacher Education Program. All students applying for the TEP must past all three sections of CORE successfully prior to admittance. This is required for all three emphases within the TEP: state certification, classical, and ESL.
When registering for CORE:
- You can register for CORE through the ETS website. You will need to create an account in order to do so.
- You must ensure that your social security number (SSN) is listed in your account information accurately. The KY Educational Professional Standards Board (EPSB) will not accept scores from accounts without SSNs, nor will they be able to access scores for accounts with incorrect SSNs, because that is how EPSB matches scores to their system.
- When registering, you are asked to select locations for scores to be sent. You must ensure that scores are being sent to both Boyce College (1072) and the KY Educational Professional Standards Board (7283). If you take the exam in KY, the scores will automatically be sent to KY EPSB, but if you take it in another state, this will not happen. Both locations can be searched by their numbers for test reporting (in parentheses above). If you fail to select these when you register, you will have to send scores retroactively and for a fee of $50/location.
If you are taking the exam for the first time:
- If you are taking CORE for the first time will need to take all three computer-delivered exams in one sitting.
- When registering, you would need to select Core Academic Skills for Educators: Combined Test (5752).
- Scores will be reported by individual sub-test. You will know if you pass math and reading right away, but writing will take time for ETS to evaluate.
- The combined exam costs $150.00 and lasts 4 hours and 30 minutes (testing time only). The reading and writing sections are designed with only selected response questions. The writing portion is a combination of selected and constructed response questions.
If you fail a section of CORE:
- If you fail a section of CORE, you can retake just that section 21 days later.
- If you fail reading, you will need to retake Core Academic Skills for Educators: Reading (5713).
- If you fail writing, you will need to retake Core Academic Skills for Educators: Writing (5723).
- If you fail math, you will need to retake Core Academic Skills for Educators: Mathematics (5733).
- All individual tests cost $90 each. Reading and Math last 1 hour and 25 minutes. Writing lasts 1 hours and 40 minutes (testing time only).
Passing Scores for CORE:
- Core Academic Skills for Educators: Reading (5713) with a qualifying score of 156.
- Core Academic Skills for Educators: Writing (5723) with a qualifying score of 162.
- Core Academic Skills for Educators: Mathematics (5733) with a qualifying score of 150.
If you are local, the Teacher Education Program has resources in the curriculum lab to help you study. If you are out of state, websites like Teachers Test Prep have study materials and free practice exams. Boyce TEP also has institutional licensure with Longsdale Publishing Group and Khan Academy test preparation sites.
Testing Centers Near Boyce College:
- Louisville (East Brandeis) – 2010 South First Street, Louisville, KY 40208 (4.34 miles)
- Louisville (New La Grange Road) – 7400 New La Grange Road, Louisville, KY 40222 (4.67 miles)
- Indiana University Southeast – 4201 Grant Line Road, New Albany, IN 47150 (8.69 miles)